Leaky gut (often called increased intestinal permeability) and excessive bad bacteria (dysbiosis) set the stage for a limitless number of problems. In his new book, Dr. Colbert's Healthy Gut Zone, Dr. Don Colbert explains that these problems come from the inside, usually as a reaction to foods and medications.
"To make matters worse, many of the offending foods were once your friends—or at least were neutral—before they became your enemies," Colbert writes.
According to Colbert, some argue that the best plan is to go on an elimination diet, but that will be truly helpful only after the gut has been restored. Until that point, Colbert explains that false readings will occur for the following reasons:
— Bad bacteria are usually in control. Too much bad bacteria can result in inflammation, leaky gut and immune reactions.
— The gut wall is leaking.
"As soon as you have a leaky gut, other food sensitivities generally appear, but that is not all," states Colbert. "Inflammation, a weakened immune system and an increased risk for sickness and disease follow right behind. This is why it is so vital that you regain control in your gut.
"Usually, when the good bacteria are in control and the gut wall has healed, the inflammation subsides, symptoms disappear and food sensitivities decrease. That is also when diseases will be able to fade away. Until that point, you will have to put up with 10 common enemies."
In Dr. Colbert's Healthy Gut Zone, Colbert lists the 10 most common enemies the gut will be fighting:
- High-sugar, high-carb diet.
- Artificial sweeteners.
- Saturated fats.
- Staying too clean.
"When you have severe leaky gut and too much bad bacteria in your GI tract, you will usually find very few foods that don't inflame your gut," writes Colbert. "The temptation is to eat only these few things, but that is not a healthy long-term option."
Don Colbert, M.D., was a board-certified family practice doctor for more than 25 years in Orlando, Florida, and most recently in Dallas, Texas. He is also board certified in antiaging medicine through the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine and has received extensive training in nutritional and preventative medicine. He is the author of three New York Times bestselling books, including Let Food Be Your Medicine, The Seven Pillars of Health and Dr. Colbert's "I Can Do This" Diet along with bestsellers Toxic Relief, the Bible Cure series, Living in Divine Health and Stress Less. He has sold more than 10 million books and treated more than 50,000 patients in his years of practicing medicine.
Dr. Colbert's Healthy Gut Zone is published by Siloam, an imprint of Charisma House.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details