The Super Bowl commercials remain some of the most highly anticipated (and expensive) promotional spots of the year. And as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs battled it out on the field, the Church of Scientology, widely regarded as a cult, served up another offering of New Age mystery in a spot that sparked controversy among viewers.
This year's ad, titled "Be More," at first seems innocent enough. Images of scenes from the pandemic and the stock market crash merge to those of individuals pursuing what the narration describes as "your purpose," "your passion," "your potential." The text calls viewers to "Be more. Be more!" until it concludes "Because no matter what we may face, nothing is stronger than the human spirit."
After that, the question "Curious?" appears on the screen, followed by "scientology.tv."
As has been true in previous years—according to The New York Times—Scientology aired its first Super Bowl commercial in local markets in 2013—social media lit up with comments about the commercial.
I cannot stop thinking about how creepy that Scientology ad was.— Josh LeVasseur (@jmlevass) February 8, 2021
I did NOT just see a SCIENTOLOGY AD during the SUPER BOWL pic.twitter.com/4q32ilklFt
— Maddie Crichton (@maddiecrichton) February 8, 2021
Regardless of the ad's content, more than one viewer pointed out the disconnect between an organization receiving a nonprofit designation and yet also airing a commercial on what is arguably the most prime of prime-time TV:
Scientology has had a Super Bowl commercial 5 years in a row now. That is too much money for a "religion". Tax them!! #SuperBowl— Uncle Heather (@heatherturman) February 8, 2021
Actress Leah Remini left the church in 2013 and has become known for her outspoken views on her experience there and what she calls the "abuse" she endured at its hands. Several Hollywood icons, including actors John Travolta and Tom Cruise, remain Scientology adherents.
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details