The modern world is not self-esteem friendly. It seems as though, from the internet to the marketplace to the classroom, a negative retaliatory atmosphere shades this age.
Musicians and hip-hop artist have "diss" tracks, celebrities and politicians clap back, even commercial companies are throwing shade: Coke vs. Pepsi, Wendy's vs. McDonalds.
Today's call-out culture is so seductive that many can't resist the overwhelming temptation to strike out at people on social media. Meanwhile, humans have a fundamental desire for social inclusion, we want to be well received and affirmed.
Yet, as followers of Christ, our exclusive allegiance to Him will generate a unique criticism. If you're doing anything significant, people are going to throw shade on you.
We learn something from Peter and John in Acts. After praying for the man at the temple gate and his healing of paralysis, the Sanhedrin, who were haters of the early followers of Christ, called Peter and John in and threatened them (Acts. 4:18) and then cast shade (a threatening expression of contempt) again (vs. 21).
Peter and John latched onto the key to overcoming intimidation by recognizing that they had to obey God rather than man. Then to solidify their breakthrough, they affirmed that it was impossible to not witness of their encounter with Him. Instead of shutting down, they modeled how you must decide both what you stand for, and value God's opinion above all others.
By doing so, Peter was enabled to cast a different kind of shade (Acts. 5:15), when his shadow healed folks. As modern-day believers, when the shade of the world is not allowed to dull our shine, we are empowered to bring healing to the masses.
The Sanhedrin's whole goal was "to keep this matter from spreading any further." The enemy wants to halt the gospel message of freedom from spreading from you to the world around you. But like Peter and the early church, keep casting the kingdom kind of shade!
In our sixth episode of Keep It 100 with Sean & Christa Smith, we cover this important topic in detail.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer