Over the weekend, a Philadelphia-based teacher bemoaned the virtual classroom—but not for the reasons you might think. Among the myriad hurdles such a setting creates, one educator expressed his chief concern: parents listening in on his "honest conversations" about sexuality and gender with students.
Matthew R. Kay, a founding teacher at Science Leadership Academy, reportedly wrote, "So, this fall, virtual class discussions will have many potential spectators—parents, siblings, etc.—in the same room. We'll never be quite sure who is overhearing the discourse. What does this do for our equity/inclusion work?"
"How much have students depended on the (somewhat) secure barriers of our physical classrooms to encourage vulnerability?" He continued, "how many of us have installed some version of 'what happens here stays here' to help this?"
Kay went on to explain he is mainly concerned with "the damage 'helicopter/snowplow' parents can do in honest conversations about gender/sexuality."
"And while 'conservative' parents are my chief concern," he wrote, "I know that the damage can come from the left, too. If we are engaged in the messy work of destabilizing a kid's racism or homophobia or transphobia, how much do we want their classmates' parents piling on?"
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.