In a lengthy Facebook post complete with colorful family photos, Love Gwaltney said she and her husband "got it wrong 17 years ago," when they announced they were having a daughter, revealing their biologically female child is actually "our son."
The Gwaltney's teenage child, McKenzie, will now identify as a male and go by the name "Grey Schoolcraft."
"He's much like any other 17-year-old nerdy boy: stays up way too late gaming, hates showering and eats too much junk food," Gwaltney wrote. "We will be referring to Grey with he/him pronouns from here on out, but he told us to tell you that he also doesn't mind if you use they/them."
Gwaltney, who is currently pregnant and wore both pink and blue to Grey's "belated" reveal party, went on to explain the reasoning behind the many colors involved in the event:
The colors of the balloons we chose for Grey match the non-binary pride flag, and the cake layers are those that represent transgender bodies, for those that are wondering.
No, we're not buying him a lifted truck. Yes, we will be buying him some new clothes.
Also, all of you who came to this post hoping to find out if this new baby is a girl or boy, sorry (not sorry) to disappoint you.
According to a report from CNN, Grey helped choose the colors for the cake and the balloons.
"I wanted the transgender flag in there, because I still feel that going from whatever you are originally to nonbinary is also a transition and it doesn't just have to be straight female to male," Grey explained.
Initially concerned about telling extended family about the transition, Grey said the anxiety melted away when loved ones accepted the change. Grey described it as "refreshing."
"You've been going by one name all your life and to suddenly go by a new name, especially when your parents call you by it, it's weird and has to register in your brain," said the Akron, Ohio, native. "But it's definitely 100% worth it, and I'm glad we had [the reveal party]."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details