A 9-year-old transgender girl from Texas is playing a transgender character in a new Netflix series—a reboot of the 1990s show The Baby-Sitters Club—that debuted earlier this month.
The child was born male and named Joseph. At just 5 years old, the young Texas native's parents insisted their child was actually a transgender girl and should be allowed to use the girls' bathroom. Joseph now identifies as a female and goes by the name Kai Shappley.
To know The Baby-Sitter's Club is to love BSC — but even for the most casual fans, the book covers are iconic.— Netflix (@netflix) July 8, 2020
That's why the team behind Netflix's The Baby-Sitter's Club worked a few of them into the series.
For example, Episode 1 features an homage to "Kristy's Great Idea" pic.twitter.com/lAcoKUBtDk
Shappley's parents drew attention in 2016, when they got into a legal spat with the Pearland Independent School District, whose officials told the Shappleys their child would need to use the boys' bathroom, the facilities that matched their child's biological sex, KRIV-TV reported.
While authorities with the Pearland ISD did offer Kai use of the gender-neutral restroom, that was not satisfactory to the Shappleys. Ultimately, the family moved closer to Austin, where the parents believed Kai's desire to use the girls' bathroom was more likely to be approved.
For the rest of this story, visit our content partners at faithwire.com.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer