"I trust the Lord." "I'm trusting in God." "You should trust in Him." Phrases like these cross the lips of Christians almost automatically—or at least they did before the coronavirus crisis. This unexpected season, however, has caused many of us to think more seriously about the one in whom we place our hope and trust.
Robert and Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth, authors of the new book You Can Trust God to Write Your Story, understand how unexpected circumstances can challenge our faith. In fact, the subtitle of their book, Embracing the Mysteries of Providence, reveals their approach. The couple unpacked the word "providence" and many other truths on a recent episode of the Hope for Your Marriage series on the Charisma News podcast.
"We are all either having come to something, in the middle of something or about to step into something," says Robert, who has worked in the publishing industry for more than 40 years. "And so 'embracing the mysteries of providence' sums it up pretty well."
"Providence" refers to "a God who sees everything before it ever happens, and who not only sees what's going to happen in our lives, but orders every particle of this earth, every happening in this universe and in our lives before we ever come to it, who not only sees what's going to happen, but He goes before us," adds Nancy, host of the Revive Our Hearts and Seeking Him podcasts and radio shows. "And He makes provision for what we're going to need when we get there. And so it's a God who cares for us, who knows everything, who is good, who is faithful.
"And so when we land in a chapter of our story that catches us off-guard, we're saying, 'Oh, that's not the script I would have written for my life. I don't want that chapter.' [But] we know that we're not going through it alone, that God has been there before us. ... We are safe, because God is a God of providence, which doesn't mean that we can see it all or understand it all."
Not only did God bring Robert and Nancy together in an amazing way after the tragic death of Robert's first wife, Bobbie, but at the time of this recording, the two were holding fast to His promises as Robert faced a March 31 surgery for melanoma.
"So this is real life for us," says Robert. "This is the front lines of trusting God to write our story. I'm incredibly grateful to have a wife who understands, who stands with me, who encourages me, who reminds me of truth. And that's really what we rest on: God's Word. And His providence, His kindness, is true."
To hear more of the Wolgemuths' encouragement and to learn how you can trust God to write your story no matter what, listen to the podcast here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.