One of the most difficult parts of human existence is coping with loss, terminal illness and other life difficulties. Famed evangelist Luis Palau knows this all too well.
Palau, 85, lost his father at a young age and quickly came to Christ—and ministry. He's spent his entire life preaching the good news that heaven is a reality, and that Jesus deeply loves every man, woman and child.
But when Palau was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in 2017, he had to go back to basics and deeply grapple with his own faith and journey.
"For a week, I felt Satan attacking me and making me question, 'How am I sure I'll have eternal life?' It shakes you up, but you go back to the book," he said in a Pure Flix Podcast interview. "I reread Hebrews 7, 8, 9, 10 again and again. If those chapters don't convince you that we have eternal life then nothing will. So it brought me peace."
Listen to Palau speak about his cancer diagnosis, life and legacy:
As a preacher, he said he's always heard from those who fear illness, death and the afterlife. But he explained that his own diagnosis and battle gave him a fresh perspective on how to interact with those afflicted by these issues.
"One of the glorious things we can say to people is that this world is a mess. Families break apart. Drugs just [don't] work, it destroys you," he said. "But the point is, when we tell people the joy we have in Christ, the best revenge is a joyful heart and to trust in the Lord. We have to encourage Christians to do that."
As for the evangelist's own story, he's elated to see it told through the feature film, Palau, a new movie available for streaming or purchase that chronicles his life from Argentina to Oregon and back again.
Palau called making the film a "humbling experience" and emphasized that it wasn't his story being told, but that of Jesus Christ working through him on this Earth.
"I'm trusting the promises of the Lord. He's been good to me since I was a little boy," he said. "I've always looked at Him as a father and He's always come through for me and He will do that for anyone who loves Him and trusts Him."
And Palau also had a word for others who might be struggling or working their ways through life.
"Trust in the Word of God, and rejoice in Him everyday and find opportunity to share the gospel," he added. "If you can walk with God and proclaim the Good News, that's the greatest legacy."
Please continue to pray for Palau, his family and his congregation during his cancer battle.
If you're looking for more inspiration, you'll find faith and family-friendly content over at PureFlix.com. Sign up for your one-month free trial to stream thousands of movies, TV shows and more.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details