Courtney Schmidt is the administrator of a Facebook support group that has hundreds of members who each, like her, wanted a place to go for encouragement as a Christian with obsessive compulsive disorder. In fact, Schmidt says that her struggles with OCD brought her closer to God than anything else, even though she had an unhealthy performance mindset in the beginning.
"There's a particular type of OCD called scrupulosity. And that is an obsession with religion. And for me, it turned into being scared that I wasn't religiously perfect enough. So how that would work is I would be scared: 'Oh, what if I'm not obeying the Word of God? Am I saying something wrong? Am I doing something wrong?'
"As a Christian, we know all of our sins are forgiven. However, there's a little side note in the Bible about an unpardonable sin. ... I knew that I was forgiven, but the obsession that I had gained was that I was not forgiven. And I was praying constantly for forgiveness and on loop and trying to do things that would make me worthy."
Finding a Christian therapist, along with the encouraging fellowship she received through her Facebook group, is what really helped her out of her lowest points by reshaping her perspective, Schmidt says on the Charisma News podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network. The therapist in particular would remind Schmidt of the truths of God's Word and combat the cycle of lies in her head.
"A lot of it was her putting it into perspective and saying, 'God does forgive you'—and not saying it too much, because that gives in to the OCD—but it would be saying, when it comes down to it, OCD aside, 'God loves you. ... He understands what you're going through,'" Schmidt says. " ... There's a lot of times you feel lost—[there's] that little part of you [that says to God,] 'Have You forgotten about me?' So it's really that encouragement of, no, God is still with you; God is on your side."
Although Schmidt hasn't been miraculously healed from her OCD, she is in a phase of recovery, thanks to God and the help of people around her. To listen to the rest of her story, hear the entire episode here.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details