Nate and Kim seemed the perfect missionary candidates. They were both committed believers and physicians, Nate, an internist specializing in HIV, and Kim, an obstetrician. They moved to Kenya to serve in a hospital in Kijabe. The adoptive parents of four children, they eventually came back to the States on their first furlough.
That's when Kim was diagnosed with breast cancer, says the couple's friend, general surgeon Dr. Charles Page, on the "Hope Through Cancer" series on Charisma News. "So there they were ... they had given their life to the Lord to serve people. And come to find out that after she finished her treatment, we found out that Kim had metastatic breast cancer. The cancer went to her bone.
"So they were faced with this dilemma. ... So after a lot of prayer, Nate and Kim decided to go back to Africa and continue to serve.
"Kim basically said, 'Well, I'm going to have cancer over here or over there. Why not go ... and do what I'm called to do?'" explains Page.
That was 14 years ago. "Through the process of looking upward and looking outward, God healed her," says Page. "There is no other medical explanation other than God intervened and met them with their needs as they stepped out and just continued serving other people like they had always done."
Page says for cancer patients, it often "seems like God is distant. But He's not." His book, A Spoonful of Courage for the Sick and Suffering, encourages readers that "God's going to see them through their difficult times and can give them what they need when they need it."
To hear more inspiring stories like this one, check out Dr. Page's book and the podcast included with this article!
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details