The nearly century-old Miss America competition will drop its well-known swimsuit competition this year and will no longer judge contestants based on their physical appearance, a top organization official said on Tuesday.
The event, founded as a swimsuit beauty pageant intended to draw visitors to Atlantic City at the end of the summer, will no longer call itself a "pageant," in a bid to modernize its image at a time when the #MeToo movement has shone a harsh light on pervasive sexual discrimination and harassment in American life.
"We are no longer a pageant, we are a competition. We will no longer judge our candidates on their outward physical appearance. That's huge," Gretchen Carlson, chair of the Board of Trustees of the Miss America Organization said on ABC News' "Good Morning America."
Carlson, a former winner of the 97-year-old contest, said in a statement that judges would instead focus on competitors' scholarship, talent and social impact.
The swimsuit competition will be replaced by a panel interview of contestants, the group said in a statement.
ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co, broadcasts the competition, which will be held in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on Sept. 9 this year.
The group's top leadership resigned in December following media reports that former executives had sent lewd emails about past winners.
The contest will also no longer judge women during the evening gown portion of the competition, instead encouraging contestants to use the event to express their personal style.
"We're experiencing a cultural revolution in our country with women finding the courage to stand up and have their voices heard on many issues," Carlson said. "Miss America is proud to evolve."
© 2018 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details