It all starts with the right number. The world's prescription for a perfect relationship is, "It just takes two."
But Billy and Ruth Graham say a good marriage should actually consist of three people: a husband, a wife and God.
And the Grahams should know. They were married for more than 60 years, until Ruth passed away in 2007.
In honor of Valentine's Day, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association has published five pieces of marriage advice that Billy or Ruth Graham has shared in the past.
1. Many of my friends have broken marriages. How can I prevent divorce?
"Remember: marriage isn't just a social convenience or a legal custom. Marriage comes from God, and it is one of His greatest gifts to us. When times of stress or disappointment come (and they will), remember that God brought you together, and you made your marriage vows not only to each other but also to Him," Billy Graham said.
Click here for the rest of his answer.
2. Are my spouse and I "incompatible"?
"Before we married, someone gave me a gem of wisdom: 'Where two people agree on everything, one of them is unnecessary,'" Ruth Graham wrote.
Click here for the rest of her answer.
3. My spouse wants to leave me. Is this happening because God is mad at me?
"No, it isn't happening because God is mad at you (even if your wife is). God doesn't want your marriage to be destroyed, and you shouldn't blame Him for whatever has gone wrong. God gave marriage to us, and His desire for us is clear: 'What God has joined together, let no one separate' (Matt. 19:6, NIV)," Billy Graham responded.
Click here for more.
4. What's the big deal with looking at something mildly pornographic online?
"What was God's plan for sex? God's plan was that His gift of sex would be a profound expression of the love and commitment that a husband and wife have for each other. It also was to be a symbol of their unity—a unity based on their commitment to each other and to God. In God's plan, "a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh" (Gen. 2:24)," Billy Graham responded.
Click here for the rest.
5. Will God lead me to the right mate? How can I make my marriage stronger?
Ruth Graham wrote several poems about love and marriage, sharing her own love story and encouraging others in their relationships.
"Dear God, I prayed, all unafraid
(as we're inclined to do)
I do not need a handsome man
but let him be like You;
I do not need one big and strong
nor yet so very tall,
nor need he be some genius
or wealthy, Lord, at all;
but let his head be high, dear God,
and let his eye be clear,
his shoulders straight
whate'er his state,
whate'er his earthly sphere;
and let his face have character,
a ruggedness of soul,
and let his whole life show,
a singleness of goal;
then when he comes
(as he will come)
with quiet eyes aglow,
I'll understand that he's the man
I prayed for long ago."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer