Kay Warren's son Matthew committed suicide almost four years ago, but for the first time, she has revealed the prophetic vision God gave her shortly after her son's death.
"Not long after our son, Matthew, died, I had a vision in prayer. I don't regularly see visions, so this was unusual," the wife of Saddleback Church Pastor Rick Warren shares in a Facebook post.
In my mind's eye, I pictured the Worship Center at Saddleback full of people who are living with a mental illness—depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder, an eating disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia—or any other mental illness that was making life challenging. Everyone in the room was reaching out to God without having to pretend that life felt okay—some people were crying, others wrapped themselves around a large wooden cross, some were praying, some were offering hugs to others—but all felt safe to bring their pain and their sorrow to God. Then I saw laughter—the kind of laughter that comes when others walking a similar life-path talk about the shared, common ups as well as downs, the moments of absurdity and humor in living with a mental illness. In my vision, hope began to rise. Hope for no more isolation. Hope for better days ahead. Hope for relationships with others who truly "get" what it's like to live with a mental illness. Hope for acceptance and a place to belong. Hope for today ... for tomorrow. And the day after that.
Warren has remained a fierce advocate of mental health awareness and treatment since her son's diagnosis and subsequent death.
Last Halloween, petitioners inspired by Warren helped shut down a mental-illness focused attraction at Knott's Berry Farm.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details