It started with a simple tweet. By day's end, Jon Acuff was labeled an "idolater," and followers demanded he repent.
What was so controversial?
This: "Shoutout to churches cancelling services this Sunday. We pastor's kids often leave faith because the church stole our Christmas every year."
The verbal bullets flew.
"@JonAcuff I feel like your an idolater who needs to be called to repentance and marked as such. Repent." One person tweeted.
Another posted: "@JonAcuff if you're an enemy of the cross, I'll surely pray for your salvation."
Acuff took it in stride, posting his rendition of the evil Kermit meme to get some laughs.
But still, followers were livid.
One person wrote: "I can't get past how worldly this post is. Christmas is about Jesus, NOT presents and family. I'm thankful my church is having service this Sunday. This post comes off as extremely selfish. Some people have no one to spend Christmas with."
Yet support abounded for the funny, financial man.
"@JonAcuff I feel like the people jumping down your throat over this have never had the experience of working in a church. #burnout" one person tweeted.
Another shared, "@JamieKocur @JonAcuff preach it! Doesn't just affect pastors and fams. Takes huge # of ppl to have worship #church staff."
Still another: "I feel like the only thing you could ever be accused of idolizing is queso. And we all know that you see queso as a true gift from Jesus Himself. So don't worry! We've all got your back!"
By day's end, though, Acuff appeared to have enough with the vitriol.
"Dear Christians, whenever atheists say we're unloving, this is why. We do this to each other. We've become the people Christ fought against most, the self-righteous religious who have all of the rules but none of the grace. Why do people who don't know my Lord show me more forgiveness than those that do?" he posted.
With Christmas around the corner, what are you going to do? Sound off in the comments.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details