Oprah Winfrey asked Hillsong New York Pastor Carl Lentz point blank, "Do you have to be a Christian to believe in God?"
Without hesitation, the pastor said, "No."
While the initial conversation smacks of universalism, there is more to Lentz's comments that many have ignored.
"Our thing is to point people to say, 'Hey, if you allow God, if you will bow your knee and admit your need of God,' and if you do that, and you say, 'Lord ... there's a moment where my repentance matters, and it's right now, and I'm handing over the keys,' if you do that, God can drive this better than you can. ... In that moment, there's a rescue, a salvation, that you can't counterfeit any other way."
When Lentz says "no" to not being a Christian to have a relationship with God, he's not talking about heaven and hell and salvation. Rather, the pastor is discussing how God intervenes in daily lives to express His love to people who don't yet know Him.
"I believe that when Jesus said that 'I am the way, the truth and the life'—the way I read that, Jesus said that He is the road marker, He is the map," Lentz says.
"So, I think that God loves people so much that whether they accept or reject Him, He's still gracious and He's still moving, and He's still giving you massive red blinking lights, for chances to take a right turn where maybe you'd take a left. I believe God loves people."
Watch the video (beginning at the six-minute mark!) and let us know what you think of his response.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.