Oprah Winfrey asked Hillsong New York Pastor Carl Lentz point blank, "Do you have to be a Christian to believe in God?"
Without hesitation, the pastor said, "No."
While the initial conversation smacks of universalism, there is more to Lentz's comments that many have ignored.
"Our thing is to point people to say, 'Hey, if you allow God, if you will bow your knee and admit your need of God,' and if you do that, and you say, 'Lord ... there's a moment where my repentance matters, and it's right now, and I'm handing over the keys,' if you do that, God can drive this better than you can. ... In that moment, there's a rescue, a salvation, that you can't counterfeit any other way."
When Lentz says "no" to not being a Christian to have a relationship with God, he's not talking about heaven and hell and salvation. Rather, the pastor is discussing how God intervenes in daily lives to express His love to people who don't yet know Him.
"I believe that when Jesus said that 'I am the way, the truth and the life'—the way I read that, Jesus said that He is the road marker, He is the map," Lentz says.
"So, I think that God loves people so much that whether they accept or reject Him, He's still gracious and He's still moving, and He's still giving you massive red blinking lights, for chances to take a right turn where maybe you'd take a left. I believe God loves people."
Watch the video (beginning at the six-minute mark!) and let us know what you think of his response.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details