Modern Family is the first television show in industry history to cast an openly transgender child for an upcoming episode.
Jackson Millarker, who was born as a female and now identifies as male, will play a friend of the adopted child of the gay couple, Cam and Mitchell.
Though the show is a work of fiction, the plot reflects an alarming increase of allowing children to transition genders before puberty.
- 82 percent of transgender youth report that they feel unsafe at school
- 44 percent had been abused physically (punched, shoved, etc.)
- 67 percent of them had been bullied online
- 64 percent of them had their property stolen or destroyed
- Suicide attempts among trans men (46 percent) and trans women (42 percent) were slightly higher than the full sample (41 percent).
- Suicide attempts was highest among those who are younger (18 to 24 years old: 45 percent).
- Prevalence of suicide attempts is elevated among those who disclose to everyone that they are transgender or gender-non-conforming (50%)
Never miss another Spirit-filled news story again. Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Three Summer Deals from Charisma: