Any religion save for Christianity is off limits when it comes to media mockery. Taunt a Muslim and the political correctness police launch protests. Attack a Christian, and they'll join in the jeering.
"I was watching a comedy program on TV the other night, and I was shocked at how often they made fun of people who take their faith seriously (especially Christians). I think such programs should be banned, don't you?" one person asked wise evangelist Billy Graham.
But Graham, perhaps surprisingly, disagreed with the reader. When it comes to banning or boycotting anti-Christian programs, Graham says we need to first consider the freedom of speech of others around us.
In his response, he writes:
Programs that mock people who take Christ seriously or even directly attack their beliefs certainly seem to be more common today than they once were. Perhaps we're already living in the final days of which the Bible speaks: "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires" (Jude 18).
I'm not a lawyer, of course, but while we may find programs like this offensive, they have the same constitutional right to free speech that we do. I also know that some people today would seek to limit or even take away our freedom of speech or freedom of religion, and I believe we should do everything we can to resist these pressures. If we don't, we could become like the rebellious people of ancient Israel: "They strengthen the hands of evildoers, so that not one of them turns from their wickedness" (Jer. 23:14).
Does this mean we are powerless to turn back the tide of secularism and materialism that threatens to engulf us? No, of course not. God is sovereign, and He is stronger than all the forces of evil. He also has given us the privilege of prayer, and we should be praying constantly for spiritual revival. The psalmist prayed, "Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?" (Ps. 85:6).
In addition, let your voice be heard. Write your television station if a program offends you and write also to companies that advertise on such programs. You may be surprised at their positive reaction.
Do you want more of God and less of the world?
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details