In the wake of the Target Corporation's disappointing second-quarter earnings, and as American Family Association's (AFA) successful #BoycottTarget pledge reached 1.4 million signatures, Target announced a $20 million public relations diversionary tactic to make shoppers believe the company had changed its bathroom policy.
"Don't fall for it," said AFA President Tim Wildmon. "Target is using deceptive language to make Americans think it has their best interests at heart. But Target has not changed this dangerous policy. Adding more bathrooms doesn't fix the issue. Not allowing men in women's facilities is the only solution."
AFA recently sent an Action Alert to its more than one million friends and supporters, stating that while it's true that the company is adding single-stall, lockable bathrooms to all store locations, Target will continue to allow men to use the women's restrooms and fitting rooms inside its stores.
Despite Target's high price tag to install more single-stall bathrooms, AFA's concerns remain, and the boycott will continue.
"We still believe Target doesn't value the safety of families because they've refused to reverse this dangerous policy," Wildmon added. "Because Target refuses to address our concerns, the boycott will remain. AFA will continue to direct our supporters away from Target and, as a result, they will shop at other retailers. After seeing Target's latest earnings report, the retailer can't afford to have millions of families shopping with competitors. The privacy and protection of women and children is important, and that is why we will continue to stand against Target for its reckless policy."
Last week, AFA released an open letter to Target CEO Brian Cornell, which contained the following:
Unisex bathrooms are fine, but our request has always been that Target maintain the gender-specific bathrooms as well—if the company is interested in guaranteeing the safety and privacy of women and girls who patronize the retailer's stores.
AFA's boycott will remain in place until Target agrees that protecting the safety and privacy of women and children is of paramount concern. To demonstrate that commitment, we ask that you reverse your current bathroom and fitting room policy.
Read the full text of the letter here.
AFA continues to ask shoppers to take action in several ways, especially during the busy back-to-school season:
- MOST EFFECTIVE: Let Target know you are not fooled by its misleading language. Voice your concerns on Target's Facebook page.
- NEW: Read the latest news on the Target boycott from FOX News' Todd Starnes here.
- Sign the #BoycottTarget pledge. Encourage family and friends to sign the pledge, too. The 1.5 million signature mark is right around the corner!
- Share the boycott information on social media and be sure to use #BoycottTarget.
- Visit afa.net/target for more tools and information on the #BoycottTarget initiative.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details