Few things can get a conversation going in a church group like modesty and swimsuits.
But Dove-Award winner Natalie Grant took matters into her own hands when First for Women magazine asked her to pose in a swimsuit on the cover.
"I learned it would be a summer issue and I was asked to be in a bathing suit," Grant writes on Facebook. "My first reaction was 'NO! No no no no no no!' But then honestly, I prayed about it."
And with that prayer came peace, provided the magazine stick to three guidelines:
1. Grant would only appear in a one-piece.
2. The suit must be modest.
3. The photo must be the "real" her, as in: "Can't be a crazy amount of photoshop used to make me look way younger or thinner than I am."
For Grant, the cover was an opportunity to share how self-care isn't just about losing weight, but about being being healthy physically and spiritually. Grant wanted to set an example for young women to understand that loving their bodies isn't selfish, but a way to honor God.
"I wanted my three little girls to see their momma accepting who she is, making the most of every opportunity and doing it with modesty, yet rockin' what you got for Jesus," she writes.
Grant knows she may have some critics of her choice, but most of the feedback on her Facbeook post has been positive, and even reached non-Christians.
"I am not a Christian, nor I do not follow any religious group. However, I must say, it is definitely nice to hear your story and find some type of modesty in this ugly world. I think it's wonderful that you sought the council of your Husband and Father before making the decision. The world definitely needs more women like you," one commenter writes.
And Grant has support from fellow believers, as well.
One writes: "As a Jesus-follower and mom, I support your choice and the parameters you stood by. Women too often cover themselves to the point of body-shaming; thank you for showing modesty and discretion as you honor your temple of the Holy Spirit."
What do you think of Grant's choice to pose in a swimsuit? Sound off!
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.