The Church of Scotland has taken a significant step towards ordaining practicing homosexual ministers, after a majority vote by local bodies.
Out of a total of 45 regional presbyteries, over 30 are thought to have voted in favor of allowing congregations to appoint gay ministers who are in civil partnerships.
The issue has already caused 18 ministers and hundreds of members to leave the denomination.
A final decision will be made after draft legislation is passed to the Church of Scotland's General Assembly in May.
The proposal affirms the church's traditional stance on marriage but allows congregations to "opt out" and ordain practicing gay ministers if they want to.
There has already been extensive opposition to the move.
Today, a protest group called Covenant Fellowship is being launched to campaign for a traditionalist stance within the Church of Scotland.
Rev. Professor Andrew McGowan, a member of the group, said that the church is in the "midst of a severe crisis."
He hopes that the protest will "grow to become an effective campaign group within the Church on behalf of those who believe in Christian orthodoxy."
Last month Conservative MSP Alex Johnstone, who is a member of the church, said that the move would "ultimately weaken" the church.
Rev. Richard Buckley, of evangelical group Forward Together, echoed this sentiment saying it was as if "an ax had been set at the root of the Church of Scotland."
In October this year, every Church of Scotland congregation on the Isle of Lewis, the largest island in Scotland's Outer Hebrides, opposed the move.
A spokesman for the Lewis Presbytery warned that the proposal risked causing "further disunity" within the denomination.
The issue has already caused division within the church.
Last year, Rev. Dominic Smart of Gilcomston South church in Aberdeen resigned from the church and began holding separate services in a hotel.
He described ordaining gay ministers as a "clear and deliberate move away from the authority of Scripture as the Word of God and our supreme rule of faith and life."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer