Christian brothers and business owners David and Jason Benham are citing a "smear campaign" as the reason their reality show was dropped by HGTV.
The network had been filming Flip It Forward, featuring the twin brothers' families and their Charlotte, North Carolina-based real estate firm, Benham Companies.
The program was supposed to be about flipping houses and helping families in need.
But on Wednesday, after a month of filming, HGTV pulled the plug on the series because of complaints about their Christian faith.
The website Right Wing Watch labeled the Benham brothers as anti-gay, anti-abortion extremists, highlighting their involvement in pro-life causes and organizing a citywide prayer rally called Charlotte 7:14, which coincided with the 2012 Democratic National Convention.
"A smear campaign was run," David Benham told Deadline.com. "And Jason and I are not going to try and correct a smear campaign."
"HGTV made a decision based on one tiny segment of our culture," he said. "And had they heard from the rest of the culture, I think it would have been different. At this point, it's over."
Deadline.com also reports David told CNN he loves homosexuals, but hates the gay agenda that tries to silence people of faith.
"The point of this is there's an agenda that is seeking to silence the voice of men and women of faith. That's what all this is about," David said.
"I absolutely think any sex outside marriage is not healthy for human flourishing," he continued. "I think it's very important we set the record straight—there's a difference between people and agenda."
In 2012, the brothers told CBN News their success was based on biblical principles.
"Produce more value than you take in pay; breathe life; [be] faithful in little," Jason said.
David echoed his brother's sentiments.
"We started building out what we envisioned that a kingdom business should look like, and we didn't read any books by anybody -- nothing," he said. "And everything was fresh, and God exploded our business because we wanted to glorify Him."
In a statement Wednesday, the brothers said they were "saddened" by HGTV's decision.
"With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals," they said. "If our faith costs us a television show then so be it."
Meanwhile, the network's decision to drop the reality series stirred a firestorm on HGTV's social media platforms, with some people applauding its decision.
But many also criticized the network for being intolerant of Christian beliefs.
The Benhams' father told Life Site News the homosexual lobby is "the biggest bully in the country."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details