The Disney Channel has come under fire for featuring a lesbian couple for the first time in a family show on Sunday.
During an episode of "Good Luck Charlie" a child and her two mothers arrive at the main character Charlie’s house to play.
The One Million Moms organization, which campaigns against the exploitation of children by the entertainment media, launched a campaign last year to urge Disney to drop the storyline when it was announced in June.
But officials did not respond, and before the episode was aired the group asked its members to contact one of the program’s sponsors to urge them to withdraw funding if the show was broadcast.
On its website, One Million Moms warned that by introducing LGBT content, the Disney Channel risked opening the doors for all other programs.
“Disney has decided to be politically correct instead of providing family-friendly programming. Disney should stick to entertaining, not pushing an agenda”, the group said.
“Just because something may be legal or because some are choosing a lifestyle doesn’t make it morally correct,” the group also said.
The program "Good Luck Charlie" is ending its series run on 16 February. The lesbian couple is unlikely to feature again.
When announcing the storyline last year, Disney said: “This particular storyline was developed under the consultancy of child development experts and community advisors”.
“Like all Disney Channel programming, it was developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness.”
In 2011, a veteran Disney animator suggested that the corporation would consider making a movie featuring a gay family if they found the right kind of story.
Andreas Deja, who is a homosexual and has worked on Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King, declared Disney as an “extremely gay-friendly company”.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details