Outspoken Christian Candace Cameron Bure has been married for more than 17 years. But the former Full House actress has angered liberals with her marriage advice.
In her new book, Balancing It All: My Story of Juggling Priorities and Purpose, Bure writes: “My husband is a natural-born leader. I quickly learned that I had to find a way of honoring his take-charge personality and not get frustrated about his desire to have the final decision on just about everything. I am not a passive person, but I chose to fall into a more submissive role in our relationship because I wanted to do everything in my power to make my marriage and family work.”
Bure, who has three children with retired NHL player Val Bure, has been criticized for her use of the word submissive and discussed her interpretation of the word in an interview on HuffPost Live.
“The definition that I’m using with the word submissive is the biblical definition of that,” she explained. “So, it is meekness; it is not weakness. ... It’s strength under control. It is bridled strength.”
She continued, “I love that my man is a leader. I want him to lead and be the head of our family. And those major decisions do fall on him. It doesn’t mean I don’t voice my opinion. It doesn’t mean I don’t have an opinion. I absolutely do. But it is very difficult to have two heads of authority."
“When you’re competing with two heads, that can pose a lot of problems or issues,” Bure added. “So within my marriage, we are equal in our ... importance, but we are just different in our performances within our marriage.”
She went on to say, “Clearly I have been married for 17 years and we have a very happy marriage and it works very well. I trust my husband, but that trust has been built. And I know that because I trust him and I build him up and give him the respect that he would like to have within marriage, that he so listens to everything I have to say and takes my opinion very seriously. And many of the times he will sway to what I would like, even if he doesn’t see eye to eye with me because he really values my opinion.
“Again, I use that word but I feel like it’s taken so strongly when I’m like, 'Everyone, just calm down.'”
In a response to critics, Bure posted a photo of herself working out on her Facebook page, with this caption: “Nothing weak about this- people talk about what they don’t understand.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer