Every morning he wakes up looking up a verse for the day. Before every performance he prays and asks, "Jesus, meet me at the mic." This is 10-year-old Julian Silva, Broadway's Gavroche in Les Misérables' 2013 U.S. and Canada tour, with his first performance at the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall in Sarasota, Fla., on Tuesday.
Julian began singing at age 3 and truly surprised his parents when he was imitating the opera quartet Il Divo at age 5. Two years later his parents enrolled him in voice lessons. Maria Silva, his mother, said about herself and her husband, "Neither one of us sings ... so it's a pure gift. ... We got him singing lessons to find his own voice."
Julian performed in local theater musicals, played in several productions and won Novemberfest Idol after four days of competing against contestants as old as 65. He played JoJo in Seussical the Musical at the Straz Center in Tampa, Fla., where one of the directors encouraged Julian to try out Broadway.
"So off we went to Broadway where Julian auditioned for Mary Poppins. Although he did not get the part, he got the attention of the casting director, who requested he audition for Les Mis," stated Daniel Silva, Julian's father.
In January, Julian was an acting finalist and the Overall Child Singer winner at the Actors, Models and Talent for Christ's SHINE Convention, where he belted out "The Circle of Life" that wowed agents for 18 callbacks.
Daniel Silva said, "A few weeks after SHINE we received a call that they were casting Julian as Gavroche in the Broadway tour for Les Mis. This was all God's timing because Julian matured and learned so much during SHINE."
Julian says about his faith in God, "I am truly honored to be chosen and sent to GO and be the light [of] Christ."
With such passion for singing, acting and being an ambassador for Christ, he will surely impress the audience during the tour when he sings "Do You Hear the People Sing?" and "Look Down," two Gavroche songs in the popular 19th-century story.
With fatherly pride, Daniel Silva said, "He is having such great time and has been doing his best to share the gospel with his fellow cast members."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details