Boosted by grass-roots support and bulk ticket purchases from churchgoers as well as some Christian retailers, Fireproof—a drama starring Kirk Cameron as a firefighter who turns to God to help save his marriage—premiered at No. 4 at the weekend with $6.5 million total receipts, the Associated Press reported.
Variety said Fireproof was "the biggest surprise" of the weekend's box office, noting that the movie saw the strongest opening among recent faith-based films.
Kris Fuhr, who heads up operations at Provident Films, which released Fireproof with Sherwood Pictures, said that the film's fourth place debut "exceeded our expectations." "I knew last week when I saw the box office that there was a chance if we had a big weekend, we had a chance to be in the top five," said Fuhr, who added that the fifth place movie last week made approximately $6 million. "God showed up and opened the door at No. 5, and He pushed us through to No. 4 this week."
Media by Numbers said that on a per-screen basis, the film was second only to the weekend's top film, Eagle Eye, E! Online reported. With a $500,000 budget, Fireproof was shown in just 839 theaters nationwide, compared to 3,510 theaters for the Shia LaBeouf thriller that cost $80 million to make. Media by Numbers added that Fireproof had the year's highest grossing opening weekend return of any film—except 3-D Hannah Montana—released on 1,000 screens or less.
Fireproof's opening was "nearly double some expectations," the Los Angeles Times observed. "Their faith-based, grass-roots marketing campaign really paid off," Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media by Numbers, told the newspaper.
Fireproof saw its best business in America's heartland and in the Southeast, according to Samuel Goldwyn Films, which distributed the film, E! Online reported. Goldwyn launched its grass-roots marketing campaign for the film nearly a year ago, reaching out to churches and screening the movie. Michael Silberman, Goldwyn's distribution chief, said Fireproof will likely expand to more than 1,000 theaters.
Although Fireproof just opened, churches and Christian counseling centers have already made the book that's a focal point of the movie into a best-seller. The Love Dare, a marriage book written by the film's co-producing brothers Stephen and Alex Kendrick, is now in its fifth printing with more than 500,000 copies.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details