A recent video that features Hollywood actors mocking Christians for their support of Proposition 8 has sparked outrage.
[12.09.08] A Christian group is demanding an apology after prominent Hollywood actors released a viral video spoofing Christians who voted for California's Proposition 8—a state amendment passed last month defining marriage between a man and a woman.
In "Prop 8: The Musical," actor Jack Black plays Jesus, who mockingly asks how Christians can believe portions of the Bible stating homosexuality is a sin yet not obey laws in scripture regarding shell-fish or selling their daughters into slavery. The short musical suggests that Christians "pick and choose" which commandments they will follow and should choose to only follow laws of "love."
"Well, then friend, it seems to me you pick and choose," sings Black's character. "Well, please choose, love instead of hate."
The 3-minute video, written by Hairspray director Marc Shaiman, who has claimed that "God made [me] gay," amassed millions of views since it's release last Thursday at funnyordie.com.
But makers of the musical satire mock Christians, defame Christ and distort the Bible, according to Gary Cass, chairman and CEO of the Christian Anti-Defamation Commission.
"Jack Black should remember from his days at Hebrew School that homosexual acts aren't funny and are roundly condemned in the Bible," Cass said. "Appearing as a sarcastic, rotund Christ, Black distorts the Bible and condones shameful, homosexual acts."
Cass's organization is asking for an apology from Black for misrepresenting Christ and the Bible.
"Associating Christ with perverse activity is an affront to all people of faith, especially Christians. Apparently Black and company find it hilarious to falsely accuse Christians while they intentionally distort the Bible," Cass said. "Black ought to apologize."—Felicia Mann
See Prop 8: The Musical here.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details