As the tense topic of gay marriage continues to circulate the country, a new study shows that 62 percent of Americans believe "marriage should be defined only as a union between one man and one woman." Fifty-three percent "strongly agree."
The scientific survey, which polled 1,500 adults between May 16 and May 19, was sponsored by the Alliance Defense Fund and completed by Public Opinion Strategies. The research also included 14 focus groups completed across the country.
"Americans recognize that marriage provides a strong foundation for a thriving society," says ADF Senior Counsel Brian Raum. "The union between husband and wife benefits society—especially children—in unique ways that cannot be duplicated by any other relationship. Throughout history, diverse cultures and faiths have recognized this universally defined ideal as the best way to promote healthy, natural families for the good of future generations."
The results reflect voter behavior of Americans who are faced with the decision to either affirm marriage in their state constitutions or leave it open to legal challenges or other attacks.
"These numbers are not surprising," Public Opinion Strategies partner and the survey's director, Gene Ulm, says. "More than 63 million Americans in 31 state elections have voted on constitutional marriage amendments. Forty million Americans in all—63 percent of total voters—have voted to affirm marriage as a union between a man and a woman."
"Americans strongly affirm the lifelong, faithful union of a man and a woman as the fundamental building block of civilization," Raum explains. "This survey, along with the nearly 80 percent win rate in ADF marriage cases, shows the opposition has created an illusion of momentum but not a real base of support or track record of victory in the courts."
The survey results summary may be viewed here.
Copyright Associated Press
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details