While responding to a viewer inquiry, Pat Robertson, host of The 700 Club, shocked viewers when he said Alzheimer's disease is a kind of death, and is grounds for acceptable divorce. Now, more than a week later on Monday's airing of The 700 Club, Robertson attempted to clarify the remarks that ruffled the feathers of the religious community.
“I've got to clarify because I've been misinterpreted,” said Robertson. “When I have somebody asking me for advice, it spreads world [wide] and it gets misunderstood.”
The viewer wrote to CBN describing a friend whose wife was suffering from Alzheimer's. The friend was bitter at God for allowing his wife to be in a condition where she didn't even recognize him anymore and in response, he started seeing another woman.
“I know it sounds cruel but if he's going to do something he should divorce her and start all over again,” the once-Baptist minister advised.
On Monday, Robertson returned to his contradictory statement with co-host Terry Meeuwsen, spelling out that what he said was circumstantial.
“Basically I'm saying, adultery's not a good thing and you might as well straighten your life out and the only way to do it is to kind of get your affair with your wife in order,” he said. “I wasn't giving a general teaching for the world.”
Robertson referred to his own marriage of 57 years as proof for his belief.
“I have a wife who loves me and who I love … She had breast cancer. I was with her … I've had prostate cancer. She was with me. I had a heart condition, a surgery that I almost died. She was there with me. I mean we expect that. We love each other. And of course you're with your wife or husband when they're sick. Good grief, yes. That's the way we should do. And we expect it.”
The CBN founder concluded with a laugh, stressing his belief in the Word of God and in the marriage covenant. “Please know I believe the Bible. Please know that I never would tell anybody to leave their sick spouse. I never, never would say such a thing … In sickness and in health. I believe it!”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details