An atheist group is crossing the line with its attack on children with disabilities.
The Freedom From Religion Foundation is claiming that the Cedar Falls Community School District in Iowa cannot make safety and handicap-accessibility renovations to the nearby Kaio Church. The school district wants to use the church facilities to accommodate overcrowding for its preschool program and meet city codes.
Kaio’s location offers students easy access to Southdale Elementary School’s food service, transportation and playground equipment. However, the school district needs to make a few modifications in order to bring the interior of the facility into compliance with city codes, including converting a janitor’s closet into a handicap-accessible restroom, adding two preschool handicap-accessible restrooms and installing two emergency exits in the designated classroom spaces.
“School districts shouldn’t be forced to deny services to children simply because groups hostile to religion misrepresent the Constitution,” says Alliance Defense Fund Senior Counsel David Cortman. “It is astounding that the Freedom From Religion Foundation cares more about furthering its distorted view of the Constitution’s Establishment Clause than making sure that school children are safe and that handicap children’s needs are met.”
The Freedom From Religion Foundation sent a letter to the district claiming that spending district funds to renovate the pre-school facilities at the church violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution. The ADF argues that adding handicap-accessible restrooms and installing emergency exits at the district’s alternative site for preschool students in no way violates the U.S. Constitution. The organization sent a letter to the school district discounting the atheist group’s contention.
“Modifying physical space at a church to make it safe and handicap-accessible for students does not translate into the advancement of religion,” says ADF Legal Counsel Jeremy Tedesco. “It strains credulity to claim that a church can co-opt handicap-accessible bathrooms and emergency exits for the purpose of promoting its religious beliefs. The courts have upheld such non-religious, ‘cosmetic repairs’ as posing no constitutional problem.”
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.