As the world's most elite athletes compete in Tokyo, human rights activists are focused on the next Olympic Games—the 2022 Winter Olympics planned for Beijing in just six months.
The communist regime in China stands accused of crimes against humanity, including genocide.
Before the 2008 Summer Olympics, Beijing pledged to improve its human rights record, but the communist party reversed course, intensifying repression.
"They realized they had gotten everything they wanted, which was the approval of other countries, so the same thing is going to happen now," warned China expert and author Gordon Chang.
The situation in China is so bad now that Chang says it's hard to fully conceive.
"China's crimes against humanity, including genocide, are comparable to what the Third Reich did prior to the mass exterminations that began in 1941. These are atrocities that the world has not seen in decades," Chang told CBN News.
Several lawmakers, including Rep. Mike Waltz, have pushed the International Olympic Committee for years to move the upcoming Games out of China.
"There's over a million Muslim Uyghurs in concentration camps as we speak ... the women are partitioned off when they get there, forced into abortions, forced sterilization, mass rape campaigns. It's horrific and disgusting ... add that to the complete erasure over years of the Tibetan Buddhist culture ... The Chinese communist party is in an absolute war with any type of religious liberty," Waltz told CBN News.
After seeing little to no progress with the IOC, he's now calling for a boycott of the Games.
"I just can't imagine seeing the American flag flying there, because essentially, to President Xi, who's a dictator, it'll be the entire world shrugging their shoulders, turning a blind eye and saying essentially, tacitly, 'all of that is OK,'" Waltz explained.
Waltz points to the past when the U.S. should have boycotted a host country and didn't.
"1936 in Germany. People forget that Russia invaded Crimea just months after the 2014 Sochi Games. We've seen time after time that dictators are emboldened when the world turns a blind eye," he said.
At a recent event dubbed The Genocide Games Rally, speakers representing China's persecuted people groups criticized rewarding the communist regime for its atrocities.
Reprinted with permission from CBN.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc., All rights reserved.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details