One local church's guidelines forbid worship leaders from having "excessive weight," as well as a smattering of other points.
According to New Creation Church's guidelines, "Weight is something that many people have to deal with. Make sure that you are taking care of your temple, exercising and eating properly."
Pastor Rebecca Sundholm tells Oregon Live the guidelines are several years old and no longer enforced, but the document maintains a 2014 copyright stamp.
"What's funny is this has nothing to do with anybody else but our church," Sundholm said. "If anybody looked at our worship team, they would see they aren't all skinny."
Other guidelines for the New Creation Church in Hillsboro, Orgeon, music ministry include:
- Hair must be washed, nicely groomed and kept neat and clean; no sloppy hairdos or excessively wild styles that draw undue attention.
- No excessive piercings, or visible tattoos.
- Ladies, put your make-up on before you get to church.
- If wearing a skirt, nylons are suggested. No tight shirts, low cut shirts or tummies showing. All skirts must be below the knee.
- No excessive colognes or perfumes.
- Bodies must be clean and use of effective deodorant is essential to positive interpersonal relationships.
- Remember also that breath mints are available in the bookstore. Please use them! No gum during services.
New Creation Church did not immediately respond to Charisma News' requests for comment.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Join us on our podcast each weekday for an interesting story, well told, from Charisma News. Listen at charismapodcastnetwork.com.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.