We have a president today who has not only fundamentally violated his oath of office to uphold the U.S. Constitution but has also actually acted against our nation and our national interests. These aren't opinions; they are facts. And the American people need to be aware of them.
The facts are:
- One of the first things Barack Obama did as president was violate the Hyde Amendment by issuing an Executive Order allowing federal funding of abortion.
- He sided with Mexican President Felipe Calderon against the state of Arizona, choosing to stand with a foreign power rather than stand with his nation in upholding immigration law.
- He violated the 1994 U.S. agreement that promised our nation would protect Ukraine's borders in exchange for Ukraine giving up its nuclear weapons.
- He forced the passage of a health-care bill that brought 20 percent of the United States economy under government control—before most elected leaders even read the bill.
- He alienated the United States' strongest ally in the Middle East, Israel, by questioning Israel's right to exist and defend itself as a nation and by urging Israel to return to pre-1967 borders.
- He ignored the due process of law in 38 states and announced through his attorney general, Eric Holder, that the federal government would no longer defend the federal Defense of Marriage Act.
- He prevented help from reaching a U.S. Embassy that was under attack by ordering our troops to stand down in Benghazi.
- He acquiesced wholeheartedly to efforts to normalize homosexuality in America, endorsing the Common Core curriculum that promotes homosexuality while neglecting the study of our nation's true history and contributing to the dismantling of the American family.
- He has driven the growth of the welfare state, encouraging dependence on the federal government to the detriment of families, business and private philanthropy.
- He paved the way for the unhindered growth of radical Islam in Egypt and other parts of the world, and whereas the beheading of two Americans is an act of war, he has abandoned that war in exchange for empty rhetoric.
In our Declaration of Independence, our Founding Fathers didn't just say, "We need to stand for liberty." They listed in great detail the extensive grievances against a monarch who had become tyrannical. In the United States of America today, as in the colonies of 1776, we face a leader who has "a history of repeated injuries and usurpations." These are not imagined; they are very real. And as our Founding Fathers laid out a clear case for action by, in their words, submitting the facts to a candid world, we must submit the facts to Americans with the action being a clarion call to repentance and prayer.
When Barack Obama was running for office, he said that if he were elected, the world will know that it's a different America. Today, the world does know—but it's a tragedy. President Obama has repeatedly demonstrated his disregard for the rule of law, issuing executive orders and even taunting his intent to act without Congress. In so doing, he is operating as a monarch rather than as the president of a constitutional republic.
America has abdicated her role as the strong principled leader in the world because our leaders have abdicated their role as principled leaders in our nation. And as a result, the world is becoming more dangerous, and our nation is becoming more depraved.
Economically, no American is better off today than they were seven years ago. And not only is America worse off, but liberty and security around the world have suffered. Liberals love to say we should not be the world's policeman. But it is in the best interests of the world for America to be strong—morally, economically and militarily.
These are not simply political issues or political differences. They are fundamental worldview issues. What do we believe about life? What do we believe about liberty? Any president who believes the sanctity of life is nonexistent, the rule of law noncritical and the sovereignty of America nonessential is a president whose administration is without redemption. And the consequences our nation and the world are suffering may very well be evidence of God's judgment against a nation that has rejected Him.
As in 1776, this is not a time for inaction; it's a time for fervent prayer and repentance across our nation. Those who supported this presidency—either through ignorance or through malicious intent—have supported the taking of human life, the rejection of Israel's right to defend itself, and the promotion of homosexuality to the detriment of the family. And those who supported these things need to get on their knees and ask God's forgiveness for violating His Word and to pray for His mercy on our nation.
And we as a nation need to corporately turn to God, repent and pray for constitutional and moral leadership that honors God's Word. Anything less will mean more Americans will die, more families will be destroyed, and the world will become a more dangerous place for life and liberty. And that is a tragedy none of us should be willing to accept.
Alex McFarland serves as co-host of Exploring the Word, heard daily on the American Family Radio network. With a passion to equip youth and families to defend the Christian faith, Alex has spoken in more than 1,500 churches throughout the U.S. and internationally. He has written 16 books and numerous articles. His website is alexmcfarland.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.